Adorable mini Masu pincushion with a lovely Tombo-dama sewing pin
Traditionally used for celebrational sake, Japanese Masu cups have a 1,300-year history. These adorable pincushions were inspired by the elegance and joyousness of Masu cups, but made in miniature by master craftsmen at Ohashi Ryoki in Gifu Prefecture.
Mini Masu Pincushions measure just 15 mm (0.6 in) square and feature sophisticated Japanese dovetail joinery that does not require nails or glue to hold the shape of the box. The smooth hinoki cypress of the box gives off a light, woody fragrance.
A high-quality linen woven in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka is used as the fabric of the pincushion, which allows pins and needles to pierce easily without dulling them.
The pincushion includes a matching sewing pin made by Glass Studio Kinari in Osaka.
Pins are supple yet durable, and manufactured in Hiroshima, a city with a 300-year history of high-quality needle production. Rigorous quality control ensures unified thickness and length of pins, and their ability to pierce cloth with ease.
Gifu, Shizuoka, Osaka, Hiroshima
Mini Masu｜Ohashi Ryoki Ltd.／Gifu
In Ogaki City, Gifu Prefecture, where about 80% of the nation's masu (measuring cups) are produced, the company was founded in 1950 as a manufacturer specializing in the production of Masu. Since then, the company has been dedicated to Masu, striving to pass on its technology and culture, and to develop new ways of using Masu, hoping that it will be used by future generations.
Tombo-dama glass top｜Kinari Glass／Osaka
Kinari Glass was established in 1994 in Osaka City as a company manufacturing glass beads, materials and tools for glass craft.
In 2000, the company succeeded in developing an eco-friendly lead-free craft glass and obtained a patent for it.
Each producer brings out the best in glass and carefully produces each item with care and attention.
All measurements are for reference. Please note in advance that the actual dimensions of the product may slightly vary.
|[Pincushion] ||Width : 15mm |
Depth : 15mm
Height : 20mm
|[Sewing Pin] ||Length : 37mm |
Glass beads diameter : 4mm
Thickness : 0.5mm
Masu box: Wood Fabric: Linen Padding: Polyester Needle: Glass, Nickel-plated steel
- Masu is natural wood and may have differences in color, grain, and knots. The linen used for pincushion fabric may have uneven coloring and wrinkles due to the dyeing process, weather, and other factors. Please enjoy them as the texture of natural materials.
- Storage in high temperature and humidity, direct sunlight, and rapid drying at high temperatures may cause cracking, burning, and mold.
- Sewing pins are handmade, there may be differences in size and pattern.
- Strong pulling on the glass part may cause it to come off.
- Wipe off sweat and grease after use to prevent from rusting.
- The needle tip is sharp and dangerous, so please handle the needle with care.
- Please be careful not to use it for anything other than sewing, as it may cause damages or injuries.
- Please keep out of reach of infants.