The Scent of Cypress Spreads Softly as You Sharpen the Pencil
Iwaki City in Fukushima Prefecture is considered the northern limit of the hinoki (Japanese cypress) tree, and the area is famous for manufacturing chopsticks using timber from forest thinning, a necessary part of forest conservation and maintenance.
Iwaki-Takahashi, Inc established a factory in an abandoned elementary school and started making pencils with the forest thinning.
Pencils are adorned with a delicate parquet of flowers featuring the Cohana logo. Yosegi Koubou Ag, a certificated specialist of Hakone Yosegi-zaiku decorative parquetry, is able to craft these exquisite designs using nine pieces of wood in a two-millimeter by two-millimeter area.
These natural cypress pencils are a delight in both scent and sensation. Each time you sharpen one, the delicate fragrance of hinoki cypress wafts through the air. A small bag is included for the pencil shavings so that you can savor the fragrance for a while after sharpening.
The pencil lead is a soft 2B, perfect for drawing and design or simply for jotting down your thoughts. It comes with a cap made of genuine leather for effortless, convenient portability. Flower Parquet Pencils make an excellent gift for a loved one or a luxurious indulgence for the true creative.
Cypress pencil 1pc
Leather cap 1pc
|Bag for shavings 1pc
▼The lead of the pencil is a soft 2B, suitable for drafting and drawing, and provides a gentle writing feel. The pencil comes with a cap made of genuine leather, making it easy to carry around.
▼The aroma of cypress spreads with each shaving of a pencil.
The scent is known to be relaxing, and the cypress is effective in deodorizing and humidity control. A small bag is attached to hold the "shavings" of the pencil so that you can enjoy it for a while after sharpening.
▼Parquet of small flower made of 2mm square pieces of wood
Started in 2010 as a disposable chopstick company that made effective use of wood from thinning, the company has produced a variety of products that take forest conservation into consideration, including cypress pencils, pillows made of cedar chips, and stuffed toys made of sawdust.
In 2019, they renovated and relocated to a school building that had been closed due to the earthquake with as little modification as possible. The school building, which still retains the atmosphere and memories of those days, has become a place of relaxation for citizens where the factory can be toured and people gather for events.
Decorative parquetry｜PARQUET STUDIO AG.／Kanagawa
Yosegi Koubou Ag, a certificated specialist of Hakone Yosegi-zaiku decorative parquetry.
All measurements are for reference. Please note in advance that the actual dimensions of the product may slightly vary.
||Length：180mm × Diameter7mm
Body: Wood (Hinoki Cypress, Mizuki, Hardwood), Clay, Graphite, Oil
Cap: Genuine leather
Bag: Corn fiber, Nylon
- Since natural wood is used, there are differences in color and grain depending on the product.
- The surface is not painted so that you can enjoy the scent of cypress. If you are concerned about the roughness of the wood, lightly rub it with fine sandpaper to make it smooth.
- Do not drop or give a shock as the lead may break.
- When using the attached bag for pencil shavings, do not put the lead part as it may cause dirt.
- Please note that the strength of the aroma may vary depending on the individual product, the amount of shavings, and the conditions of use.
- The bag may be torn depending on the frequency of use and usage conditions. If it is torn, discontinue use.
- Since the leather cap is made of genuine leather, it may expand and contract slightly. If it gets wet with water or sweat, it may cause discoloration stains.
- Do not leave in direct sunlight, high temperature, or high humidity. It may cause discoloration, deformation and mold.
- Keep out of reach of infants.